Monday, January 18, 2010

Line By Line: David Sedaris, Naked



"We were not a hugging people. In terms of emotional comfort it was our belief that no amount of physical contact could match the healing powers of a well made cocktail."

"I haven't the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out."

"The Greeks had invented democracy, built the Acropolis and called it a day."

"There seemed to be some correlation between devotion to God and a misguided zeal for marshmallows."

"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

No comments:

Post a Comment