Sunday, January 6, 2013

2012 Listening Recap

My bestest companion in the whole world is my music collection. As Nietzsche proclaimed, "without music life would be a mistake." It may be worth noting I have this quote inscribed on my iPod. :-)

With this in mind, I thought I would collect some random notes about my 2012 in music:

Most Played - Song
According to my iTunes, the 10 songs I played the most last year were (in no particular order):

Jason Mraz - "I Won't Give Up"
Howie Day - "The Longest Night"
Sara Bareilles - "Gravity"
Racoon - "Lose Another Day"
Muse - "Uprising"
Karmin - "Brokenhearted"
Matchbox Twenty - "She's So Mean"
Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees"
David Guetta w/ Sia - "Titanium"
Guster - "Do You Love Me"

This is an odd collection of songs. I have no insight into why these rose to the top, other than they likely earmark different emotional times throughout the year. Though with Matchbox Twenty and Karmin, I just find them so catchy! And with Guster, well, it is the darn bells!

Most Played - Artists
According to my iTunes and my journal, the 10 artists I played the most last year (again, in no particular order):

Matt Nathanson
Arcade Fire
The Decemberists
Sara Bareilles
Blue Rodeo
Mumford & Sons
Kelly Clarkson
P!nk
Radiohead
Lady Antebellum

Favoritest Finds
The artists and songs which had me giddy all year:

Lykke Li
Emeli Sand
Of Monsters and Men
Jessie Ware
Kimbra
Carrie Underwood - "Blown Away"
David Guetta w/ Sia - "Titanium"

Favoritest Songs / Albums
This was the new music which made me go 'wow' everytime I listened (and still do have me wowing):

Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur
Serena Ryder - Harmony
Angel Haze - "Cleaning Out My Close"
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - "Same Love" (& video)

Favoritest Rediscoveries
These are the artists, albums and/or songs whose brilliance I rediscovered through various avenues:

The Killers - Sam's Town
Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville - Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind
Pete Yorn - Music for the Morning After
Rosanne Cash - The Wheel
Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
Bobby Brown - "Every Little Step"
Sam Cooke

Looking Forward to Discovering in 2013
It is not so much that I don't know of these artists and/or the album indicated. It is just I have not spent much time listening and digesting the specific album or the artist's discography as of yet. But I will. In 2013. :-)

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
Grizzly Bear
Whitehorse
Amanda Palmer
Alabama Shakes

Favoritest Musical Achievement
I have never heard nor viewed "Gangnam Style." Hand to heart swear. Never. And I feel incredibly blessed. Also, I still have not heard a Justin Bieber song in full. I intend to keep it this way for as long as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment