Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday Snapshot: Riding the Rails on the Island

Saturday Snapshot is a weekly meme hosted by Alyce at At Home With Books. The guidelines are to post a photo that you or a friend or family member have taken and then link it back to Alyce's original post for the week. Photos can be old or new and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see.

The following photo was taken from inside the VIA Rail train in Victoria, BC. We are the start/end point of the track, on the east side of the Johnson Street bridge (or the blue bridge as I always refer to it).  You can see part of the Inner Harbour beyond the blue railing and the buildings on the other side of the harbour.
 

The train goes from Victoria to Courtenay each morning, and vice versa in the evening. The trip is about 4hrs and 45 mins one way, which makes for a very very long day trip. I took the trip a couple years ago while on vacation, and spent the time daydreaming, enjoying the island scenery and reading lots. Very peaceful and comfy on the way to Courtenay but not so much on the way back, as it was a Friday and people were heading into the city for the weekend.

Unfortunately, the service was suspended last March due to maintenance work. There is presently no set date for when it will be offered again. I was hoping to get to Victoria this spring for a vacation, and looks like I will have to cross the activity off the list. :-(

13 comments:

  1. I think my children would really get a kick out of taking a train ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had a train experience but I would love to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trains....and have enjoyed some trips over the years, but this one looks very special. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. The train feels old-worldish, doesn't it. Hope the train returns soon. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Train travel in BC must be especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they start it up again before we visit. Staring out the window of a train is so mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy traveling by train. It's so much nicer than driving. Hope you get your train service back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's too bad! Riding on trains is a rare experience for me (happens most often on vacations and then it's usually subway trains). My husband took a train a few days ago to Seattle (from the Salem Oregon area) and was frustrated at how long it took, and that freight trains take precedence over passenger trains. It's not unusual to run far behind schedule because of getting shunted for freight trains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a long day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love taking the train - let someone else do the driving for a change.

    Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took a lot of long distance trains when I travelled as a youngster. It was cheap. Now I like to do it because it's easy- especially the fast trains in Europe.

    ReplyDelete